1. If you have an appointment with the doctor, then come on schedule. It's better to come fifteen minutes before the actual time. If by any reason you cannot come at specified time, tell the receptionist about the situation. This is to make sure that no one gets frustrated by your late coming. Many doctors don't give appointments because they know that patient will not come on time or if patient does manages to come (not on time), patient tries to get first to the doctor, which is kind of frustrating for others.
2. Doctor will ask you about your condition, which is known as taking history. You should go prepared for this. Which condition started when, you should know about it. If you think that you might forget about some specific condition take a note about it. If there is surgery done on you, you should tell this about doctor.
3. You should keep record of your previous disease and of those current diseases. So that when you show your medical record to doctor, doctor can easily diagnose you. Keeping track of things is a very good habit.
4. What ever medications you are taking. Tell them to doctor, so that doctor knows what you are up to. If the name of medicine is difficult to remember write down the name of it.
5. Whatever doctor suggests, understand it thoroughly. If there are foods that you have to avoid do not hesitate to ask.
6. Act fully to what doctor has prescribed to you. Don't change your doctor or prescription, if any one of your family members or friends say to do so. If you keep on going to same doctor, the doctor can understand your disease much better rather then changing the doctor and starting again from scratch.
7. If doctor asks to meet you after some days of prescription, then you should follow as the doctor says.
These are some important points that every patient should keep in mind when going to see doctor. These are responsibilities of a patient, which every patient should know.